The importance of Etiquette when using e-mail.
Assignment 4
The importance of Etiquette when using e-mail.
The most important aspect that I have seen through these readings is the importance of Electronic Communications. E-mail has become a vital part of the way we do business and is a very important way to communicate and pass along vital information. I only belong to one mailing list and “group,” that I use on a personal basis. This group is very good about not sending out un-important information. I had belonged to groups in the past and the amount of junk that was sent out was at times overwhelming.
As a supervisor at work I try and curb the amount of e-mail that is forwarded because at times this can be overwhelming also. There is quite a bit of information that is passed down in my work center that is only important or pertains to supervisors.
I think that the re-sending of e-mail with F.Y.I. is one of my main pet peeves. Also it seems that when these types of information do come out that there is always someone or more than one person that has to throw in a comment to the original e-mail that contradicts or has nothing to do with the original e-mail. These at times can be offensive to the original author and I see people often make the mistake of Reply All and have seen people get reprimanded for doing so.
Educating our co-workers and subordinates is something that we need to do to stop the massive flow of junk. There have been days that I have wasted hours reading e-mail that is of no importance to my work center or me. Whether it be memos that do not pertain to my work center or just junk in general, this time sifting through the junk could be more productive on other requirements or assignments that need to be taken care of in a timely manner.
E-mail and maintaining my disk space is at times can be a challenge. One thing that I have found to help in the storage of “important e-mails,” is the ability to save these e-mails on a disk and keep them handy if they are needed in the future. I recently had one of our servers go down at work and thought that I had lost some very important e-mails, but luckily by doing a weekly back up I was able to recover most of the information that I thought was lost. (Rinaldi, 1998)
'By requiring employees to use appropriate, businesslike language in all electronic communications, employers can limit their liability risks and improve the overall effectiveness of the organization's e-mail and Internet copy in the process' - Excerpt from 'Writing Effective E-mail', by Nancy Flynn and Tom Flynn. (Email Etiquette, n.d.)
For the most part we as supervisors should insist that our employees and coworkers adhere to basic standards and etiquette when using e-mail. With these practices in place we will be able to increase productivity by alleviating useless e-mails and communication.
Rinaldi (1998) The ‘Net User Guidelines and Etiquette. Retrived 12 Sept. 2006. https://myasucourses.asu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab=courses&url=/bin/common/course.pl?course_id=_16190_1
Email etiquette (n.d.) Retrived 12 Sept. 2006. http://www.emailreplies.com/
The importance of Etiquette when using e-mail.
The most important aspect that I have seen through these readings is the importance of Electronic Communications. E-mail has become a vital part of the way we do business and is a very important way to communicate and pass along vital information. I only belong to one mailing list and “group,” that I use on a personal basis. This group is very good about not sending out un-important information. I had belonged to groups in the past and the amount of junk that was sent out was at times overwhelming.
As a supervisor at work I try and curb the amount of e-mail that is forwarded because at times this can be overwhelming also. There is quite a bit of information that is passed down in my work center that is only important or pertains to supervisors.
I think that the re-sending of e-mail with F.Y.I. is one of my main pet peeves. Also it seems that when these types of information do come out that there is always someone or more than one person that has to throw in a comment to the original e-mail that contradicts or has nothing to do with the original e-mail. These at times can be offensive to the original author and I see people often make the mistake of Reply All and have seen people get reprimanded for doing so.
Educating our co-workers and subordinates is something that we need to do to stop the massive flow of junk. There have been days that I have wasted hours reading e-mail that is of no importance to my work center or me. Whether it be memos that do not pertain to my work center or just junk in general, this time sifting through the junk could be more productive on other requirements or assignments that need to be taken care of in a timely manner.
E-mail and maintaining my disk space is at times can be a challenge. One thing that I have found to help in the storage of “important e-mails,” is the ability to save these e-mails on a disk and keep them handy if they are needed in the future. I recently had one of our servers go down at work and thought that I had lost some very important e-mails, but luckily by doing a weekly back up I was able to recover most of the information that I thought was lost. (Rinaldi, 1998)
'By requiring employees to use appropriate, businesslike language in all electronic communications, employers can limit their liability risks and improve the overall effectiveness of the organization's e-mail and Internet copy in the process' - Excerpt from 'Writing Effective E-mail', by Nancy Flynn and Tom Flynn. (Email Etiquette, n.d.)
For the most part we as supervisors should insist that our employees and coworkers adhere to basic standards and etiquette when using e-mail. With these practices in place we will be able to increase productivity by alleviating useless e-mails and communication.
Rinaldi (1998) The ‘Net User Guidelines and Etiquette. Retrived 12 Sept. 2006. https://myasucourses.asu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab=courses&url=/bin/common/course.pl?course_id=_16190_1
Email etiquette (n.d.) Retrived 12 Sept. 2006. http://www.emailreplies.com/

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home